Pages

Friday, February 12, 2016

Thunderbirds Hockey Game

I went to my first Thunderbirds game this season and it was AWESOME!  I had a great time and would recommend it to everyone.  Even if you don’t know anything about hockey or think it might not be your thing, I assure you, you’ll have a good time.
I wasn’t sure what to expect.  I knew hockey was a violent game.  I wasn’t sure if I wanted to see a bunch of guys fight and beat each other up on the ice.  However, to my surprise, it was entertaining and was exciting watching the guys get into tiffs.
Also impressive are the skating skills of the players!  I was shocked at how quickly they were able to fall on the ice and get back up in what seemed like one coordinated/graceful motion.
Two activities at the ShoWare Center that added to the fun were the blimp that dropped beef jerky and the chuck a puck game- where you can purchase rubber pucks and at the appropriate time, chuck them onto the ice to win prizes.
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Attending a Thunderbirds game is an affordable sporting event that’s great for a date.  We went during the 2-for-Tuesday night.  This means tickets are priced 2-for-1 and they have specials where $2 can get you a hot dog, popcorn, soft drink, or beer.

The marriage principle I took away from attending the game was thinking about time outs (the penalty box).  When we are having a verbal conflict with our significant other, a large amount of adrenaline and other hormones are released.  Instead of thinking rationally and clearly with the front of our brains, we begin to think with the back and go into a fight-or-flight response.  We say things we don’t mean and end up causing damage to our relationships.  John Gottman discovered that with as little as a 10% heart rate increase (from a person’s resting heart rate) a person begins to switch to fight-or-flight mode and should take some time to calm down before returning to the discussion.

http://www.seattlethunderbirds.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment